مطلوب مهندس مدني للعمل لدى برنامج الغذاء العالمي – بيروت – لبنان
تفاصيل الوظيفة :
The vacancy announcement is advertised for the same position in our two (2) sub-offices: Beirut and Zahle. Deadline for application is 25th March 2018 at 11:59 PM, Rome Time
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: University degree in Civil Engineering or related Engineering and Architecture discipline. Holds or be eligible for Accreditation to “Professional Engineer” or “Chartered Engineer” status, or recognized equivalent by an appropriate national or international regulatory authority.Engineering diploma 3 additional years of relevant work experience.
Experience: At least five (5) years of professional experience in design and construction management of buildings, road, irrigation, livelihood and community based infrastructure projects direct engagements is required.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic languages.
The Syrian crisis has displaced more than one million refugees into Lebanon. The country, which has been hosting the highest population of refugees per capita in the world for more than five years now, is grappling with multiple challenges. The combination of refugee influx and decreased economic activity with Syria has impacted the economic and fiscal performance and affected public finances, employment, trade flows and other key economic indicators. Economic growth has stagnated after years of strong performance, limiting the capacity of the government to invest in infrastructure improvements and to respond to the increased demand for social services.
Given the need to curb the deterioration in living conditions and livelihoods, the humanitarian response to the Syrian crisis has so far primarily focused on addressing immediate needs. However, there is growing demand for a response that mitigates the socioeconomic impacts by linking strategically resources that address immediate needs with mid to long-term productive and resilience investments.
In Lebanon, WFP supports vulnerable Lebanese and Syrian households with provision of cash-based transfers to cover their basic food needs. According to the Vulnerability Assessment of Syrian Refugees, VASyR, 91 % of the Syrians continue to be food insecure. WFP seeks to improve food accessibility among host communities and displaced Syrians as well as to contribute to turning the current crisis in Lebanon into a development opportunity, building on resilience and livelihood programmes introduced by WFP in 2016.
WFP Lebanon is seeking two Civil Engineers to support the Livelihoods Unit in Beirut Country Office and Zahle Sub-Office. The Civil Engineers will be responsible for assisting the Civil Engineer Head in (i) the assessment and design of rehabilitation and construction works and the preparation of assessment and survey reports including design, drawing and cost estimate, (ii) the execution of the construction/rehabilitation projects as undertaken by Livelihood Unit for the FFA of WFP. The Projects include the rehabilitation/construction of irrigation structures, road inclusive culverts, farmer markets, drainage structures and vertical structure such as warehouses, etc.
To provide construction and engineering expertise and contribute to the efficient delivery and quality outputs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Engineering and the overall supervision of the Head of Livelihoods Unit, the Civil Engineer will perform the following responsibilities:
- Contribute to the implementation of WFP Policies, engineering standards, norms and practices ensuring compliance with wider WFP policies, procedures, guidelines and operations
- Review requests for new constructions or rehabilitation works, carry out survey and technical assessments and prepare reports with recommendations for follow up actions
- Conduct field assessment and technical survey including design and technical and shop drawings as per WFP design and drawing guides for the basic and low risk infrastructure such vegetable/fruit market for farmers, agriculture road, irrigation canal, water reservoir, etc
- Help and support Head of Engineering in liaising with local government on the national standards, market rates required for the infrastructure projects.
- Review the CP(s) monthly payment and invoices for the infrastructure project and confirm work progress
- Supervision and monitoring of infrastructure projects implementing directly by WFP country office and certify work quality and preparation of payment for contractor
- Provide technical guidance to the Livelihood Team that support a successful construction procurement process whenever needed
- Assist the Head of Engineering and LH teams to provide the technical input to the preparation of tenders, during bid evaluation process while needed.
- As tasked by the Head of Engineering or the Head of the LH unit, supervise the construction works in the field, and administer the works execution as per the contractual provisions and the design specifications;
- Assist Head of Engineering in the preparation of project / contracts related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, Engineer’s Instructions and Variation Orders, Contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client hand-over documents and contracts close-out reports.
- Assist Head of Engineering to ensure that WFP procedures and standards adhere to all project implementation activities.
- Draft monthly, quarterly or ad hoc field reports for infrastructure projects particularly for the direct implementation
- Provide data and information about project works to WFP Head of Engineering for reporting purposes
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience in supervision of civil engineering construction activities is required.
- Work experience in post-conflict/ fragile environments and hardship is desirable.
- Good knowledge of public procurement procedures
- Knowledge and experience of international construction contract formats and contract management, FIDIC or other, is desirable
- Experience of working within the Humanitarian Community
- Good knowledge of AutoCAD 2D and other relevant engineering software
- Experience with UN, NGOs or INGOs is a plus.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
– This position is open to qualified Lebanese candidates. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
-Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for further and assessment and/or interview